03/08/2012

 

Amazing bravery under pressure

Duck2Water’s Bravery Award this week goes to the 12-year-old girl who managed to steer a car to safety when, as passenger in her grandfather’s vehicle, he died suddenly while driving along the motorway.

Although he had let his granddaughter know that he was feeling below par, it still came as a total surprise to the girl when her granddad’s head hit the driver window and he lost consciousness, all with his foot still placed firmly on the accelerator.

Tragically, the 63-year-old had died of a heart attack. "He said he was scared, closed his eyes, and put his head on the glass. That’s when I knew he was dead," said the brave girl.

"I didn’t know what to do. I took off my seat belt and slid over to put my foot on the brake. I was looking around and thought, should I go into the corn field, should I keep going?'" she added.

Amazingly, she managed to make the car come to a standstill after driving it into a field and into some trees – all without suffering injury.

Just like her mother said, this young woman driver is a real hero. She lost her grandfather and saved her own life and, potentially, those of other road users all within the space of a few minutes. Amazing! We at Duck2Water car insurance salute her!  

Photo © Horia Varlan via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]