09/07/2012

 

Giant toys for giant boys

Any of you out there have Hot Wheels toys when you were kids? I did. I used to love sending the cars round the tracks, racing them for hours on end every weekend. That is if I could keep my destructive little brother at bay.

I’d hate to think what our little imaginary drivers had to pay for their car insurance. They certainly had to endure some hairy moments, not least when they were being propelled down concrete stairs or made to travel a collapsing loop-the-loop. Thankfully, nothing like that ever happens in real life...

But what’s this, I hear? What, a real 60ft high loop-the-loop track, complete with two death-defying drivers?

Yes, at the X Games in Los Angeles this month, two drivers broke the loop-the-loop world record when they successful negotiated the live-sized toy in a stunt that smashed the previous world record.

"I tell you what, I'm at a loss for words. That was absolutely the coolest thing I've ever done,” said one of the stuntmen.

Having been traumatized by having a baby brother who used to smash my sets up I’m half expecting there to be a 1000ft tall toddler somewhere nearby waiting to pick the cars up and hurl them before destroying the loops by landing on them with the nappy-crash wrestling move.

Photo © JacobEnos via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]