17/08/2009

 

The first time I … had a flat tyre

I didn't take to wheel changes like a duck2water - or a flamingo for that matter.

Yes, it was raining. Yes, I was wearing a dress. Yes, my shoes had three inch heels and yes, I'm a girl.

I took the lining out of the boot, looked at the spare wheel and (I'm sorry fellow feminists) I burst into tears. It just seemed hopeless and I was late for an interview.

I did start to try to get the wheel out, but I must have looked really pathetic because a man came out from a nearby shop and in a flash the wheel was changed and I was on my way.

I had watched attentively and when I got home later that day – with a brand new tyre on my Punto courtesy of my local garage – I sat down and wrote out a wheel changing check list to put in the boot.

It went something like this:
  1. Don't panic – you can do this

  2. Face it - you are going to get dirty

  3. Put the handbrake on firmly

  4. Loosen the wheel nuts with the wheel wrench – if necessary stand on the wrench and bounce

  5. Put the jack under the jack point nearest to the flat tyre…

And so on and so forth.

I even put in an old pair of DMs so that I wouldn't be caught out in girly and totally impractical foot wear.

And after I got the job, I phoned a recovery service, took out breakdown cover and never worried about flat tyres ever again.


Image © Michael Lehet via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]