05/03/2010

 

Not work to death, work till death

Like everyone else of my generation, it looks like I'm going to have to pay for the decadence, avarice and economic mismanagement of the baby boomer generation.

I know that this means I probably won't be able to retire until I'm well past my best before date. I also know it will probably mean that I have to look after my divorced parents in their old age, their pension funds dried up, the pair of them ceaselessly bickering as, unable to afford a nursing home, they are forced to take refuge together in the basement room of my tiny temple to negative equity.

With any luck, by the time I'm 106, my boss will let me take the afternoon off so that I can book a taxi for the nearest crematorium, allowing me to die at the appointed time.

Well, at least there are some inspiring examples that working until so late in life can be done with both health and happiness. Like Ted, the 98-year-old paper boy, he's been delivering papers since 1942.

Or the Welsh fish and chip shop owner whose is still at the deep fryer, even though she's 94.

I just hope that I can be half as useful if ever I'm lucky enough to reach a similar age, with my health I hope.

Image © garryknight, via Flickr under Creative Commons Licence


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]