09/03/2012

 

Hard times bring expensive tastes

In my opinion, there’s something about times of economic hardship that makes us all long for quality.

Take the Second World War for example, during that time my grandparents had less than they’d ever had at any time before then, yet, even now, I’m wearing a good pair of well looked after brogues that once belonged to my grandfather, while my sister’s most beloved garment is the beautiful coat that my grandmother wore when she was in the Wrens.

I guess not having a lot of financial means makes us truly value things that last – things that are enduring.

This fact would perhaps explain why, despite endless talk of credit crunches, tough times, recessions and depressions, sales of prestige cars such as BMW, Mercedes and Audi are on the rise.

Whether or not these vehicles are of better and more enduring quality than Vauxhalls, Fords, Toyotas and their like is beside the point – maybe its just that we want security, which would explain why more and more car insurance companies are being asked to provide cheap quotes for luxury and prestige models.

Image © swanksalot via Flickr, under Creative Commons Licence

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]